Job Title: Water Treatment Plant/Hydro Plant Operator
Status: Full-time regular position
Benefits:Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Location:Water Treatment Plant/Hydroelectric Plant
Hours: Works 8 hour rotating shifts
Reporting Relationship:Reports toWater Treatment Lead Operator
The Water Treatment Plant Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the city’s lime softening water treatment plant in accordance with the Safe Drinking Water Act, the operation of the treatment plant residual de-watering equipment and associated processes, and the facility maintenance procedures established by the City. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
1) Provides safe, high quality drinking water in adequate supply to meet the needs of the city’s customers; conducts laboratory testing and monitors the treatment process to meet the Safe Drinking Water Act requirements.
2) Maintains proficiency in lime softening chemistry with the specific intent to interpret laboratory results and respond to those results to optimize water treatment chemical processes.
3) Controls coagulation, flocculation, sedimentation, fluoridation and disinfection of water in response to laboratory results.
4) Records, updates, and logs data pertaining to plant operations, water quality monitoring, maintenance and administrative functions including equipment operation, well-field operation, chemical dosages and inventories and laboratory results.
5) Operates, schedules, monitors, cleans and performs operator level maintenance on the filter system, and maintains the thickening basin at optimum levels.
6) Conducts required laboratory testing of water samples and assists with analysis of monthly distribution system bacterial water samples and other samples brought to the lab for testing.
7) Orders, receives and inventories chemicals used in the water treatment process and ensures all day bins, hoppers and day tanks are filled.
8) Receives and responds to inquiries and complaints from the public and refers both complaints and responses to the utility management.
9) Maintains safe and clean working conditions in and around the water treatment plan and all work areas.
10) Assists with the general water treatment plant maintenance and preventative maintenance as directed; performs operator level maintenance of water treatment, water supply, and water storage systems; coordinates water treatment plant operations with organizational maintenance activities and assists outside contractors as required.
11) Actively participates in educational programs to maintain required Department of Health licensing and treatment plant certification and makes steady, positive progress toward improving individual certification, job skills, and professional training.
12) Sets program limits in treatment plant’s automated control system (scada).
13) Maintains an excellent driving record and a valid Minnesota Driver’s License.
14) Participates in the safe operation, maintenance and overall performance of the hydroelectric generators and dam. Including maintaining and operating flood gates, and insure optimum water levels for power production.
15) Maintain well site, tower sites, and pumping sites.
16) Maintains lawns, landscaping around water plant and Hydroplant.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent GED
Work Experience: On-site work and training will earn necessary licenses as listed in contract.
Physical and Mental Requirements: Occasionally exertion of force in excess of 50 and/or up to 100 pounds to move objects or equipment accessories is required. Must be able to exert 20-50 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Must be able to climb ladders in excess of 120 feet and descend into and work inside confined spaces.
Working Conditions: Most work is performed in a field environment involving working inside and outside of vehicles and in confined spaces. Seasonal conditions can include excessive heat or cold. Will at times work alone. Conditions can include working in wet, muddy, slippery or dusty and windy conditions. At these times there may be intermittent exposure to very disagreeable working conditions. Some assignments involve exposure to odors and toxic gases, such as from solid waste or untreated sewage. There is often exposure to traffic and moving equipment. There is considerable attention to detail when handling equipment in tight quarters or around people.
WATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR
CITY OF GRANITE FALLS
The City of Granite Falls is accepting applications for the position of Water Treatment Plant Operator. Water Plant Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the City’s lime softening water treatment plant. This position further involves participating in the maintenance and overall performance of the hydroelectric generators and dam. Experience with SCADA System is preferred. Minimum of Class D certification preferred or attained within two years. Rotating shifts including weekends and some holidays. Application and job description can be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office, or online at www.granitefalls.com. Wage range: $19.56/Hr.-$25.43/Hr. based on experience. Please send application and resume to Attn: Water/Hydro Plant Operator, 641 Prentice Street, Granite Falls, MN 56241. Application deadline is July 5th by 4:30 p.m.
An Equal Opportunity Employer and Provider
Deadline for Applying : Jul 6, 2018