City of Granite Falls
Job Status: Water/Hydro Electric Plant Superintendent
Status: Full-time regular position
Benefits:Qualifies for full-time benefits
Location:Water Treatment Plant
Hours: Standard business hours (7am-3pm), varies based on business need
Reporting Relationship:Reports to City Manager
The Water Superintendent coordinates water treatment and water supply operations with all staff. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
1) Works to develop annual work plan and commitments; assigns daily and weekly work to staff to maximize progress towards commitments and keeps staff informed of progress.
2) Supervises Water Treatment Plant Operators; assumes responsibility for on-the-job training; administers staff development plans to ensure cross-training in all aspects of operation; standardizes treatment plant operator procedures to maintain common work practices, system operations and laboratory procedures. Monitors work to ensure that standards are being met.
3) Participates in the hiring process; orients new staff, and ensures new employees are adequately trained; provides input into performance review process; monitors work to ensure that standards are being met.
4) Ensures that current policies and procedures are understood and followed; develops written policies and procedures for supervisor approval; maintains division records as required.
5) Assists with monitoring budget expenses; obtains and evaluates price quotes for external services or materials; presents findings to supervisor for approval.
6) Responsible for the water quality laboratory operations including but not limited to the following primary tasks: collecting distribution water samples from throughout the community, performing all required water quality laboratory procedures, maintaining laboratory supplies and chemicals, documenting all laboratory results and submitting necessary reports, and preparing written laboratory procedures.
7) Effectively utilizes automation technology to enhance operations, record keeping, scheduling, supply and communications.
8) Must maintain professional knowledge and state certification through on-site and off-site training, attendance at seminars and successful completion of utility re-certification as required.
9) Responsible for the submission of monthly and annual reports to the MDH, MnDNR, and others.
10)Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions necessary to operate and maintain the treatment plant including OSHA regulations.
11)Responsible for the safe operation, maintenance and overall performance of the hydroelectric generators and dam. This includes record keeping, maintain all operating plans and manuals, and filing of reports that are required by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
Education: Must have a Bachelor of Science Degree or a Minnesota Department of Health Water Supply Class-C Operator Certificate, or a Class-C Water Operator certification from another state.
Work Experience: Minimum of five years of experience in a water treatment plant of similar complexity and environment, two years of experience as a Water Treatment Plant Operator; experience in a leadership position preferred.
Technical Skills: Proficiency inMS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook); supervisory knowledge of instrumentation calibration and minor troubleshooting; experience using automated plant operations software scada; demonstrated familiarity with water softening chemistry; experience reading, evaluating, and interpreting technical drawings, blueprints, schematics, and operations/maintenance manuals preferred. Knowledge with occupational hazards and safety precautions necessary to operate and maintain generators and dam as well as knowledge of FERC and MnDNR regulations pertaining to the hydroelectric dams.
Physical and Mental Requirements: Occasionally exertion of force in excess of 50 and/or up to 100 pounds to move objects or equipment accessories is required. Must be able to exert 20-50 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Must be able to climb ladders in excess of 120 feet and descend into and work inside confined spaces.
Working Conditions: Most work is performed in a field environment involving working inside and outside of vehicles and in confined spaces. Seasonal conditions can include excessive heat or cold. Conditions can include working in wet, muddy, slippery or dusty and windy conditions. At these times there may be intermittent exposure to very disagreeable working conditions. Some assignments involve exposure to odors and toxic gases, such as from solid waste or untreated sewage. There is often exposure to traffic and moving equipment. There is considerable attention to detail when handling equipment in tight quarters or around people.
WATER TREATMENT PLANT - HYDROELECTRIC PLANT SUPERINTENDENT
CLASS C WATER PLANT
The City of Granite Falls is currently accepting applications for the position of Water Treatment/Hydroelectric Superintendent. Water Plant: Responsible for the supervision of the operation and maintenance of equipment of a new lime/soda ash softening water treatment plant; lab work and daily testing required for water treatment plant; scheduled shifts including weekends and some holidays. Experience with SCADA systems and MS Office preferred; minimum of Class C certification preferred with applicable experience and/or education. Hydro Plant: Responsible for the supervision of operations and maintenance of a 1.2 MW Hydroelectric Plant and Dam. Salary range $21.67/Hr-$ 28.17/Hr. based on qualifications. Applications can be obtained from the city clerk’s office 641 Prentice Street, Granite Falls, MN 56241. Phone 320-564-3011. Application deadline: April 25th, 4:30pm.
An Equal Opportunity Employer and Provider
Deadline for Applying : Apr 25, 2018